Friday, June 1, 2012

Sign 1

EPOV
August 2010
As I carried Emma into the car, and fastened her seatbelt, I couldn't help but sighing at the goddamn frustration I felt. Yet another family dinner had passed, and yet another speech had been forced upon me.
"Edward, you need to get out there. You can't close yourself in forever. It's not healthy. We just want you to be happy. It's been four years."
The same speech every time.
Four years since what?
Four years since my daughter turned one and her mother walked out. Giving up, stating that she couldn't live with a deformed daughter.
After she said that word about my girl, I opened the door for the bitch. Showed her out. Out of my life.
Our life.
Papers were signed, an engagement ring was returned, and that was that.
I was suddenly a single father at the age of twenty-four. Father to an amazing little girl who couldn't hear me. Couldn't hear when I told her how much I loved her.
When we found out that Heidi was pregnant, I… freaked out.
I had just started my new job after studying music for five years. Ironic, I know. Music's always been a big part of my life, and then I have a daughter who is deaf. I'm not bitter, though. I love that girl with every fiber of my being, and she's truly perfect just as she is.
But anyway, I freaked out when we found out Heidi was pregnant. Partly because I wasn't ready to become a father, and partly because Heidi and I were… not compatible. I know we loved each other for a while, but it didn't run deep. And it was mutual. It was for the time being.
We met at Juilliard; she wanted to become a singer, and I wanted to compose music.
But I stepped up to the plate, asked her to marry me, and when Heidi started to show, I found myself drawn. Longing even, to become this child's father. And we made it work. I made good money as a jingle writer, and it was perfect at the time. Heidi, however… was not so excited. But she 'coped.'
Emma Cullen was born June 19th, the day I turned twenty-three… and soon, Heidi wasn't coping any longer.
We found out our daughter was deaf.
All of us were devastated of course, but Heidi was downright appalled. And she gave it a year before she said 'enough.'
I didn't give a flying fuck for myself, but I was disgusted by her behavior toward the angel she birthed.
Glad the bitch is gone.
Thanks to my sister Rose, and my mother, she has females in her life. Women who know how to react when Emma screams bloody murder because Daddy can't braid her hair.
Yeah, I need Rose and Mom as much as Emma does.
Anyway, I'd say my life is good. Somewhat.
I love my new job since two years where I compose music for shows on Broadway, and I live with my girl in a nice apartment literally five minutes away from work. And with a view of Central Park, the location can't get much better.
The thorn in my goddamn shoe is my mother's incisive talk about finding love.
Yeah, bullshit like that.
I don't give a rat's ass about it. Women don't exist for me, and haven't for the past few years.
After Heidi was done and she had moved to California, I tried dating a few times, but it always ended in disaster. It was when I brought someone home with me to introduce her to Emma that everything went to hell. The date or girlfriend or whatever would start walking on eggshells around Emma, and simply shy away – no matter how many times I told them to just relax, because my girl is not only smart, but she's also easy going, and you don't need sign language to convey simple things. But yes, they shied away, which in turn made my girl believe people didn't like her.
I ended those relationships rather fucking quickly, because no one matters more than Emma.
Doesn't matter. I'm fine without women. Companionship. Someone to share things with.
Don't need it.
Nope.
At the age of twenty-eight, I'm doing just fine on my own.
*O*O*O*
Late August 2010
I felt the plastic on my leather cuff vibrate on my wrist, and I spun around to see where Emma was.
We were grocery shopping and Emma just loved to run around. I wasn't worried, though, because Rose was with her. But that didn't mean she didn't love to annoy the shit out of me with our bracelets.
It was my best friend – Jasper – who gave them to us last year on our birthday, and it was a clever thing. But that was just Jasper. High tech and inventive, and especially in this situation, having a daughter who was deaf, too.
He had bought me a regular leather cuff for my wrist and a silver bracelet for Emma, and then he had attached a flat square-shaped piece of plastic on the inside of my cuff that vibrated when Emma pressed the button on the small plastic charm on her bracelet. The charm on her bracelet simply sent a signal to the receiver I had on my cuff, and yes, she loved to press that button.
I made a mental note to talk to Jasper to see if I also could get a goddamn button. That way, I could annoy my girl right back. However, knowing my girl, that would probably only make her laugh.
After checking several aisles, I found her and Rose by the ice cream. And there was another woman, too.
One with a very spectacular ass I must say.
What, I'm still a man.
But what stunned me was when the brunette crouched down, and started signing with my daughter. Apparently it shocked the shit out of my sister, too.
It didn't take a genius to figure out that I walked over to them.
*I'm five years old,* I saw my girl sign, and I figured the long-legged brunette had asked how old she was.
Emma saw me then, and her shy smile turned into my lopsided grin as she waved me over.
*You're killing daddy with that bracelet, princess,* I told her with a wink as I approached.
She just laughed at me, of course.
Then I focused on my sister and the, Jesus… beautiful woman. God, she was stunning. Her face was nothing but gorgeous.
"Edward." Rose smirked. "This is Bella. We work out together at Emmett's gym. And Bella, this is my brother, Edward."
I smiled and offered my hand. "Nice to meet you, Bella."
She smiled brightly and shook my hand as she replied. "Nice to meet you, too, Edward. I take it little Emma here's yours?"
"She is." I grinned, looking down at where Emma was watching us curiously.
That always tugged at me—to see her so curious about what she couldn't hear.
Apparently Bella noticed as well, and when she spoke again, she signed at the same time. Once again shocking the hell out of me.
"She's an adorable little girl. Rose told me about her niece, but I'm afraid her words didn't do her justice." She smiled, winking at my girl.
Emma's face lit up like a Christmas tree, and it was for such a simple thing as being included.
"Thank you," I chuckled, still stunned.
"And Bella, you didn't tell me you could sign," Rose said.
"Guess it didn't come up." Bella shrugged. "But seriously, what do we talk about when we're on the treadmill, Rose?"
It was a pointed look that told me this was not for a brother's ears.
I was however disgustingly intrigued about Bella's part of those conversations.
"Alright, alright," Rose conceded with a chuckle. "So, how come you know then?" she asked curiously. And I had to say I was curious myself.
"My mother taught me," Bella replied softly. "She was born deaf," she added without signing.
"I'm sorry," Rose offered politely.
"Don't be," Bella said dismissively, still smiling at my Emma. "It was never a problem. Besides, signing is fun, right, Emma?"
Emma grinned widely and replied. *Daddy said it's like a secret language. Because not many know how.*
I just stood there, grinning like a fool at her. So goddamn cute when she got excited.
"Daddy is right, sweetie. It's for cool people," Bella laughed quietly.
The three of them continued to 'talk' and I was just… actually just enjoying the moment. I loved watching my girl and how animated she got when something was funny.
It didn't exactly make things worse when Emma was talking to the most beautiful woman I've ever seen either.
She was truly gorgeous. At least a head shorter than me, and her body screamed perfection. It actually wouldn't surprise me if she was a dancer. She looked so comfortable in a pair of denim shorts and a t-shirt, and her posture reminded me of the dancers we always saw back in school. And also of course the dancers I encounter at work when it's rehearsals.
After a few more minutes, Rose and Bella said goodbye, saying that they would see each other at the gym tomorrow, and I sorta tried, but failed to think nothing but proper thoughts.
"You were not subtle, big brother of mine," Rose snickered as we left the grocery store.
"Whaddya mean?" I asked as I fastened Emma's belt.
"Well, to be blunt, you eye-fucked her."
"You're always blunt, Rose," I pointed out. "And I wasn't eye-fucking anyone," I added, grumbling… lying.
"Whatever," she sighed, clearly not believing me. "But just so you know; she's looking for a babysitter-job."
Huh…
"And you're looking for someone who can take Emma when you're holed up by the piano," she said pointedly as I started the car.
I was.
I had a busy fall ahead of me, with three big projects, and I needed at least four hours every day, of solitude, in my music-room at home. And that of course meant I needed help with Emma. Especially since the daycare center where Emma went only had her between eight AM and three PM. Stupid hours, I know, but finding a daycare that has what my girl needs ain't easy.
And I was always at the studios during those hours, working with Jasper and his crew.
So, if Bella can sign… and has experience with Emma's situation…
"Tell me about her," I sighed.
When it comes to Emma, I've come to realize that it's just plain stupid to throw away a good possibility, because the truth is that you don't know when an opportunity like this will present itself again.
"Yes!" Rose grinned in victory, making me roll my eyes at her. "She's really great, Edward… Okay, so, I don't know everything about her, I mean, we've only known each other for six months or something like that, and when we work out, we talk girl-stuff, ya know. So, I'll just tell you what I know, okay?"
"That'd be great," I replied dryly.
"Okay, so, she's nineteen years old and-"
"Wait, what?" I choked out. "She's only nineteen?"
Nineteen!
Holy fuck. I'm a pervert then.
"What does her age have to do with fitting as a babysitter, brother?" Rose asked smugly with a cocked eyebrow.
Yes, what indeed.
Crap.
After clearing my throat, I replied, "Nothing. Go on."
"Right," she sighed. "She's nineteen, but… she has a birthday coming up in September…" She trailed off, seemingly thinking out loud.
Okay, so twenty?
Still too young for me to even fantasize about.
"Anyway, she's starting her third year at Juilliard. She's studying to become a dancer."
I nodded, unsurprised. She really did look like a dancer.
A stunning one.
But… huh, on her third year already?
Rose continued to talk about Bella for the rest of the ride; she did seem perfect for the job, and since I lived not more than ten minutes from her school, it would be easy for her to come over after her classes.
In the end, I asked Rose to talk to Bella about the whole thing, and if she was interested, we could set up a meeting.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

wow awesome!!!! xxxx