Friday, June 1, 2012

Sign 12

EPOV
"A caesar salad and a Diet Coke, please," my sister told the waitress.
"I'll have the same but with water, thank you," Mom said.
Weird chicks.
"Double cheeseburger, extra fries, onion rings on the side, and a large Mountain Dew," I ordered, handing the waitress my menu. "Throw in some mozzarella sticks, too."
Having lunch with my mom and my sister – I'm gonna need good food to survive this.
Dad – the traitor – cancelled, so now I'm facing the chicks by myself.
The four of us did this once every month, and it was my parents' way to keep track on me and Rose. But I knew that this lunch would be about me.
"How's Bella, dear? Have you asked her out yet?" Mom asked me once the waitress had left.
"You're not wasting any time, are ya?" I chuckled dryly.
When's my burger coming?
I also regretted not picking Emma up early from her playgroup. She could've been here to help me. Or maybe she wouldn't… now that I think about it.
"Seriously, Edward, you need to get a fucking grip," Rose huffed. "She's not gonna stay single forever."
Gritted my teeth. Dragged my hands over my face.
When is that goddamn burger coming?
"I need you two to back off," I groaned, frustrated as hell. "I mean, seriously, when are you gonna get it? She's twenty! And I have Emma."
And no, they don't know I'm sleeping with Bella. Only Jasper and Alice know about that.
"Bella's different," Mom said. "She adores Emma, you know. And I don't think you're alone in having deep feelings."
"I don't have any deep feelings for her," I lied.
Both Mom and Rose scoffed and rolled their eyes at me.
Lovely.
"You should ask her to the premiere," Mom continued, obviously ignoring my previous comment.
The premiere. Yes, one of the projects I've been involved with is premiering soon, and I always get five tickets. The premiere is in two days, and Bella knows about it of course, only, she thinks she's watching Emma. I've already given my parents two tickets, and Rose one, because Emmett's been banned from that particular theatre.
Not kidding.
You know how you sing along when you're at a rock concert… Yeah, well, Emmett thought it was no different when you're at the opera. Didn't matter that he couldn't understand a word of the Italian lyrics, he sure as hell could bellow some bullshit anyway. And I would've laughed my ass off… had it not been for the fact that I was being reviewed that night for an exclusive music magazine.
"Emmett could watch Emma," Rose pointed out.
I sighed. Pulled at my hair.
Did I want Bella there?
Of course. I would love to have her there, to share my work with her, because though I don't play the actual music during the acts, I'm in fact the writer and composer behind many of the pieces. And this time it was a musical I had loved working on.
I love writing music period, and though I like composing for operas as well as plays, I do have a thing for combining my love for rock music and theater, and this time it is in fact a rock musical.
There's no denying that I want Bella there for that.
But could I ask her casually? Could I ask her without coming off as a lovesick puppy? Could I ask without coming off as desperate? Could I ask without things becoming awkward?
Christ, so many questions.
"Ask her, Edward Anthony," my mother said firmly.
My head snapped up. "What the fuck are ya middle naming me for, Mom?"
She just shrugged. "Thought it was appropriate. But you really do have a stick up your ass."
"Mmhmm, he sure does." Rose nodded.
I couldn't fucking believe those two.
If Dad's bailing the next lunch, then so am I.
Oh, my dear sister wasn't done. "There's gonna be dance performances, yes? You can always mention that to Bella. She is a ballet major after all."
Huh.
That's… actually not half bad.
Maybe I could ask her, tell her that since she's into dance, she will enjoy it.
That could definitely work.
I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna ask her.
Casually.
After I conceded, we spent the remainder of our lunch, talking about the premiere and how big it was, because it truly had captured the media's attention. Most likely because of the famous actors and musicians starring, and there were billboards all over the city, not to mention the buzz I haven't been able to escape, you know, gossip. This time about the two leading actors, and whether or not they're involved.
Safe to say, I work from home whenever I can, but that doesn't mean I don't see it when I'm on set with the crew.
Goddamn is all I'm saying.
And I can't say I look forward to the red carpet, but luckily, the likes of Jasper and I, can walk through without anyone caring.
*O*O*O*
"No fucking way, dude," Emmett said, shaking his head.
"No," Jasper agreed. "Absolutely not. You can't ask her that."
My fucking God!
Yesterday I was so confident. I was gonna ask Bella to come with me to the premiere of Volturi Rock, but now, the day after, I'm having a late lunch with Jasper and Em, and they're telling that there is no way I can pull it off and come off as casual.
Emmett doesn't know about my relationship with Bella, but he sure knows about my feelings about her.
They all do for fuck's sake.
"Not even if I-" But I was cut off by Emmett.
"Doesn't matter what you're gonna say, bro. Anything you say will still result in the two of you dressing up in some fancy shit, and you're still gonna take her there, and you're still gonna take her home. Ain't nothing about that that won't scream out that it's a date."
Fuck.
A date. God, I would love for it to be a date. Maybe have dinner with her before the show…
Yep, that's a date.
I can't ask her.
DAMMIT!
"I mean, I think you should ask her, 'cause she's a cool chick. But it would be a date. Don't really understand why you don't wanna date her, though. Why does it have to be casual?" Emmett rambled.
Oh, I wanna date her, I thought as Jasper and I shared a knowing look. But Bella doesn't. She wants casual.
"I want casual," I lied.
"No, you don't," Emmett huffed before stuffing his face with a slice of pizza.
"Bella's not the kinda girl that's into dating," Jasper covered for me, and I could've kissed him. Almost.
That was a good lie. Well, in this case it was no lie.
"Really?" Emmett asked, not really convinced.
"Uh, yeah, she's hinted that she's not ready to date," I added to the lie, shrugging.
"Huh," Emmett responded, clearly not thinking that about Bella.
I was a mess.
*O*O*O*
I was a mess later that night, too.
I really wanted her there with me. I really wanted her to sit next to me, dressed to the occasion, watching why I've been holed up in my room for the passed months.
"You okay?" Bella whispered, and I tightened my hold on her, loving the feeling of her lips against my jaw.
And was I okay? Far from it, but I didn't wanna think about that when I had the love of my life naked in my bed.
"You've been a bit off today," she continued quietly, still planting soft kisses on my skin… and it felt amazing… warming…
Loving.
Just want her to continue. Definitely don't want to talk.
"I'm fine," I murmured, rolling us over, so I was on top of her. "Stay here tonight?" I asked, hiding my nerves by kissing the spot below her ear. And I loved it. Kissing her soft skin. Flawless and so responsive, easy to read. Because that was what her body was; easy to read. I knew that the spot below her ear was a sweet spot that made her shiver. I knew that when I skimmed my nose along her jaw, her skin broke out in goose flesh. And I knew that when I brushed my thumb over her hipbone, she moaned quietly, half in content, half in excitement.
I knew her body, loved her body, and adored playing her like an instrument. An instrument I worshipped. An instrument I wanted to savor, love, and protect. An instrument I wished to know all about.
"Yes," she gasped, and I hoped… hoped it was in answer to my question, and not because I pressed against her, wanting, needing her for a second time this night.
I pushed into her pussy, moaning and shivering at the feeling I had become addicted to. I moved inside her purposefully, only wanting and needing to feel her. To be closer. To feel the way she always arched her back to be closer.
I love you.
My hands found their way, playing her, as she did with me, and it was the same. She knew me, too. She knew I shivered in pleasure when she kissed my sternum. She knew my breathing hitched when she clung to me, letting her nails dig into my shoulder blades. She knew I loved it when she threaded our fingers together above her head.
I love you.
I averted my eyes, knowing they would betray me, knowing they would tell her exactly what I felt for her. Instead I buried my face in her hair, increasing my pace, reaching further, reaching that spot inside of her that makes her clamp down on me, that makes her moan out, that makes me groan, that brings us closer.
"Oh, Edward," she moaned, like I knew she would, and I loved it, craved it, needed it.
I love you.
"I can feel you, baby," I breathed in her hair. "I can feel you're close."
She pulled me to her then, making me face her, and she kissed me. Hard. Passionately.
I love you so much.
Tighter and trembling. Yes, she was close. Slick, warm, and so tight.
"Come for me, beautiful," I whispered, breathless from the kiss.
And she did. She fell apart under me, convulsing and moaning… and so fucking beautiful that it almost hurt to look at her.
I followed, because… there was no chance in hell I could ever restrain myself after watching her orgasm. And with a breathy groan, I came hard, tensing, holding her tightly, throbbing and holding my breath as I spilled into her.
There was nothing casual about this at all, I thought, breathing heavily as I pulled out of her… very reluctantly.
Christ, have I freaked her out yet?
But as Bella rested her head on my chest, and began to draw lazy circles on it, I relaxed, knowing that it couldn't have been too bad if she's still here.
And that's what matters. That she's here.
For two more days, and then she's off to Washington.
The premiere is tomorrow. Could I ask her casually, playing on the whole last-minute-thing? Maybe I could tell her I got an extra ticket.
Yes.
I decided to ask her tomorrow morning before she takes off for school.
*O*O*O*
"Good morning." Bella smiled as I joined her in the kitchen, carrying a very sleepy Emma on my hip.
For once, Bella had woken up before me, but I knew she had a breakfast date with Alice before class where they would discuss their departure… for tomorrow.
"Good morning, beautiful." I winked, setting Emma down in her chair.
Emma grabbed my hand before I could head for the fridge…
*What did you say, daddy?*
"What do you mean, princess?" I asked, confused.
*After good morning,* Emma clarified, but I was still confused.
A quiet voice clarified further, though, as she brought cereal and milk to Emma.
"You called me beautiful, Edward."
Oh. Shit. That.
I often called Bella that, but not in front of my very perceptive daughter, who was getting better and better at reading lips. It's definitely a slow process, but my girl's only five, and she can read well, especially for her age. And she probably knows how to read 'Good morning' when I say it. So, if I add to that phrase… of course she's going to be curious, because that's my daughter.
Great.
Time to fess up, because there's no way I'm lying about words. That will only confuse her in her reading—set her back.
"I said Beautiful," I admitted, sitting down with my own cereal.
Emma… well, she grinned. Widely. Like… face-splitting widely. And I saw secrets in her eyes. She may be smart and perceptive, but those are my genes. She got that from me, and I think I'm going to give my sister a call later.
"Alright," I heard Bella sigh behind me. "I'm off…"
And this is where I need to get my shit out. Fast.
"Uh, Bella, wait," I said.
I already knew that Emma would watch me like a hawk, so I motioned for Bella to follow me to the hallway.
Once we were both there, Bella started putting her shoes and jacket on, and I… ah, crap, I'm just gonna say it.
"Emmett's offered to take Emma tonight, and I have an extra ticket."
There. I've said it.
And perhaps I should breathe. I hear that's vital.
Right.
"Um, okay?" she replied, softly but… she wants me to elaborate. She wants me to spell it out.
Terrific.
"Yeah, so, uh… will you go with me?" I asked, and then I realized it sounded like I'm asking her out, so I continue… like an idiot. "Um, I mean, Rose and my parents are gonna be there, and um… well, it's just if you want… and then you can go home when they do, or you can stick around… with me… for the party."
SHUT UP, CULLEN!
I held my breath, trying… but probably failing at appearing casual.
Emmett was so right. So right. I can't ask her casually… and I didn't.
But then Bella said, "Sure. Sounds like fun. Count me in."
And her face was unreadable.
Actually, she was casual. Because that's what we are to her. Casual. She wouldn't read into how I acted, because she doesn't think I feel more for her.
"Great," I forced out.
*O*O*O*
*Can we go to the playground?*
I chuckled at my girl. "You have to ask Uncle Emmett, Princess."
We were walking through the park, toward Rose and Emmett's apartment, and Emma had spent the past twenty minutes asking me what she and Emmett would do tonight when the rest of us "visit Daddy's work."
I had told her this morning about where she was spending the night, and when I picked her up from her playgroup, Mrs. Goff informed me that Emma had spent the entire day talking about her sleepover with Uncle Emmett.
*Can we have ice cream, Daddy?*
Oh, she was having fun now, knowing full well that I didn't know how she and Em would spend their time.
So, I gave her the same answer I had given her for the past twenty minutes.
"You have to ask Uncle Emmett, Princess."
I winked at her, and stifled a laugh at the same time as my chest constricted when she tried to wink back at me.
So fucking cute.
And today, walking with her through the park, watching her in her pink overalls, pink, fluffy hat, scarf, and mittens… and her lopsided smile… her gorgeous eyes… her dimple… the cold November making her cheeks a little pink… the sunlight dancing on the curls that framed her gorgeous face…
There are no words.
*Can we watch movie, Daddy?*
"You have to ask Uncle Emmett, Princess," I laughed.
*Can we eat candy, Daddy?*
Time to play.
With a straight face, I told her, "You can never have candy again, Emma."
She stopped short. I… oh, God, I wanted to laugh as I saw her horrified expression.
"I'm kidding, sweetheart!" I laughed.
She squealed and charged at me, and I laughed as I picked her up, positioning her on my shoulders before I took off in a run.
And let me tell you, hearing your child laugh… It makes life worth living on a whole other level. Contentment becomes bliss.
Good thing I'm fit, because whenever I slowed down, she pulled my hair like I was her goddamn pony, demanding I keep running, and it wasn't until we reached the end of the park that I lifted her off me, panting like a madman and positioned her on my hip instead.
*Tired?* she asked me, giggling like the cute creature she is.
I've been running for the past fifteen minutes with a squealing giggle-monster on my shoulders. No, I'm not tired. I'm fucking exhausted.
Didn't say that, though.
Just nuzzled my nose with hers, to which she always put her hands on my cheeks and pushed them together.
*Funny face!* She giggled before doing it again.
Christ, she's perfection.
It still hurts. Only sometimes, but it stings sometimes that Heidi could walk out on her. For Emma's sake it hurts. I'm glad she's not here, because she doesn't deserve it. But… I just don't understand how one can walk out on a child.
"I love you," I mouthed to her, overcome with… something. It was overwhelming. Made my eyes prickle.
*I love you, Daddy,* she signed, at last letting my cheeks go.
I didn't let her go, though. Needed to carry her for some reason.
Thankfully, Emma didn't insist on walking like she usually does, you know, 'cause she's a 'big girl' now. Bullshit to me. She'll always be my baby.
A few minutes later, we reached Rose and Emmett's building, and we greeted old Felix – the doorman who always had a smile for my girl – and Emma wasted no time in squirming her way down to the ground so she could hug him.
"How are ya, Felix?" I grinned.
"Getting old," he replied, smiling at Emma. "Nah, things are good. And you, Edward?"
*Hi, Felix!* Emma giggled.
I smiled. "All good."
*Hi, pretty girl.* Felix chuckled.
That was pretty much what he knew of sign language, but it was enough to make my girl beam with joy, because the official story was that she had taught him the signs.
It was a few months after Rose and Em had moved into the building that Felix had approached me, and asked if I could show him a few simple signs. Safe to say, I was happy to help.
The ones fluent in my family are me, Mom, Rose, and Emmett. Dad isn't far behind.
I was just ecstatic that they all insisted on learning for Emma's sake.
*Daddy, tell Felix I'm here on sleepover, please,* Emma told me.
I obeyed, cause you do that.
"Sleepover with Uncle Emmett," I chuckled, and Felix laughed, knowing what that entailed.
Yes, he too, knew how connected Emmett was with his inner child.
"You just missed your sister and her friend, by the way," Felix said as she tickled Emma. "Bella was her name, I think."
Huh.
Why would she be here? It's not even four. Shouldn't she be in school?
I made a mental note to ask Emmett.
Speaking of…
"Here ya are!" I heard the booming voice of my brother-in-law exclaim.
I turned around just as Emmett reached us, and grinned knowingly at him, because the only time you see Emmett in jeans is when he's preparing for a date with Emma. You know, 'cause jeans are sturdy, and you need that when for the park and you have a niece that loves to roll around in the sandbox. And no, Emmett's not like a parent. That dude won't ever sit on a bench and watch Emma play. He's right there with her, rolling around in the sandbox.
In other words, he's an amazing uncle.
"The Gym-master without sweats or basketball shorts," I chuckled. "Can I assume you have plans for my girl?"
"Hell to the yeah," he laughed. "I was just gonna go out buy some must-have's for the evening before you got here, but I suppose Emma can tag along, eh?"
"Sure thing." I smiled, reaching down to tickle Emma to get her attention, and once I did, and she saw Emmett behind her… well, there was no use in trying to get a word in. We're talking squeals and laughs, and truth be told, I'm pretty sure one of those squeals came from Emmett at one point.
"I think you're forgotten, Edward," Felix snickered, watching Emmett and Emma wrestle on the ground.
"I think so, too," I chuckled.
"Ready to start our day of fun, Spider Monkey?" Emmett asked Emma.
More squealing, oh and some furious nodding.
"Alright, say goodbye to Daddy," Emmett laughed.
Emma spun around with her massive grin, flew into me, and squeezed the living shit outta me as I lifted her up for a hug.
"I love you," she mouthed before giving me one of her sloppy smooches.
"I love you, too," I mouthed back, giving her an Eskimo kiss before lowering her to the ground. "Be nice to Uncle Emmett, Princess."
*Not too nice,* was her standard reply, and I winked at her.
"Hey, I saw that," Emmett chuckled.
"Don't know what you're talking about." I shrugged as Emmett lifted Emma up to sit in his shoulders.
"Uh-huh," he huffed. "But karma's a bitch, Eddie," he added cryptically.
"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked.
"Let's just say that Rosie just took Bella out to buy a dress for tonight. Your sister has plans, you know."
I gritted my teeth.
"Yes, your wife is a relentless little shit," I groaned. "What the hell does she have planned this time?"
I hate my sister, I whined internally… a bit petulantly, but seriously, my sister has gone too far, and judging by the way she themed the Halloween party, one can only guess what she'll dress Bella in.
"I have no idea, but there was shopping and a spa appointment on the to-do-list, though I stopped listening when they started yapping about jewelry and something called La Perla… I don't know what that means. Oh, and she'll stop by your place, too, because she's getting you an outfit for tonight."
No surprise there, really. Rose often bought me shit, especially for events like the one tonight, and since it was a rock musical, I could only imagine her following the theme.
I knew many were doing that, and Jasper had grinned in approval when we were told that tuxedos were not necessary.
But what the hell is La Perla? I've heard of that… I think. A jewelry store?
Ah, well, I better prepare for a long night of agony.
After another goodbye to Emmett, Emma, and Felix, we parted ways, and I headed home, mentally preparing myself for the non-date where I'll see Bella in a dress… most likely a sexy one to go with the rock theme.
Have mercy on my valuables.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh god. Edward is still clueless, isn't he? This is so much fun!!