Friday, June 1, 2012

Sign 5

EPOV
Mid-late October 2010
"So, how's living with Bella?" Jasper smirked, his eyes still on Katie and Emma.
It's Saturday, and it's our 'play date' as usual, and Bella's been living with us for four days. Four days with cold showers. Four days of knowing that she's so close.
"It's all good," I half-lied, making sure I didn't look him in the eye.
Watching my princess instead.
To be honest, it could've been a lot worse, having Bella live with us. But I rarely see her. She gets up early and is ready to leave when I emerge with Emma for breakfast, so the mornings are always innocent. Just a quick 'good morning,' and then she's gone. And when she comes home around four, she heads straight for Emma, and I go to my room for work. Then she bathes Emma after giving her dinner, and when I've tucked Emma in for the night, I still have an hour left of work. So, when I do emerge from my music-room, it's passed nine PM, and Bella's already eaten by then.
In her room she has pretty much all she needs. Before she moved in there was a queen-sized bed, a nightstand and a dresser, and a flat screen on the wall. And then there's the ensuite bath, so there's not really much that makes her leave her room.
She eats in the kitchen, and she's all over the place when Emma's in charge, but other than that, she's in her room for the most of it.
"What did she do yesterday?" Jasper asked, bringing me out of my thoughts.
"Whaddya mean?" I asked.
"Just thought since it was a Friday." He shrugged. "Aren't most college kids out clubbing then?"
God, he makes us sound old.
"She watched Emma right after I had brought her home from her playgroup, and then she left around seven to meet Alice. Something about going to the movies," I replied.
"Alice." Jasper nodded pensively. "I ran into her the other day."
"Really?" I asked, quite surprised.
"Yep. She's hot."
Jasper's also blunt. Usually more classy – like me, I'd like to think – but still blunt.
Not that I'm a prude – far from it. Really far from it – but I was raised to be a gentleman. But then again, this was Jasper and I. Our Saturday. Our locker room talk.
"She's a hyper one," Jasper added with a chuckle.
"I wouldn't know." I shrugged. "But how do you know?" I asked, narrowing my eyes.
I mean, running into someone doesn't mean you stay and talk to that person for any length of time, does it? And damn, they met once, here in the park… for about three minutes.
"We were both in line at Starbucks," he answered simply. "And she didn't waste any time to ask if I was single."
"W-what?" I coughed. Eyes bugging out and all that shit.
"No kidding," he laughed.
"What the hell did you tell her?" I asked incredulously.
"That I was in the middle of a divorce."
It felt like he left something out, but I wasn't one to push for answers. If he wants to say anything, he will.
But…he's thirty-one, and…Alice is twenty, also having graduated two years early to escape their small town.
Eleven years. That's…a lot.
"You do know she's twenty, right?" I asked.
Jasper's face paled.
He did not know that.
"She takes the same classes as Bella," I told him. "I thought you knew they grew up together."
"S-she said she was twenty-five," he choked out. "Said she waited for Bella to graduate so they could go to New York together!"
Hot damn.
I wanted to laugh. I really, really wanted to laugh.
So…
I laughed. Oh, God, I laughed.
*O*O*O*
"Hi, you two," Bella greeted us when we came home from the park.
*Hi, Bella!* Emma replied, grinning goofily.
Felt odd. Good odd.
To have someone at home.
Then I noticed what Bella was wearing.
Light blue pajama shorts and a black tank top.
That's an awful lot of skin showing…
Emma's dad appreciates that a bit too much.
"Hey," I said back lamely as I helped Emma with her jacket and shoes. "Not used to seeing you here." I gave her a quick smile. "Especially not at…" I checked my watch. "One PM."
"Yeah, well, school's out on Saturdays," she pointed out playfully.
"Touché." I smirked.
Guess I'm about to find out how Bella is on weekends.
"Do you two have plans for today?" she asked us.
"Nope. You?" I replied as I carried Emma to the kitchen.
I needed a distraction ASAP. She was just too sexy.
"No, not today."
Bella followed us out to the kitchen and took her seat next to Emma as I headed for the fridge to get… something. Anything.
"Want to watch a movie with me, Sweetie?" Bella asked Emma.
*Yes!* Emma replied, nodding furiously.
Yeah, like she'd ever say no to Bella.
"Is it okay if I get some snacks?" she asked me at the same time as she signed for Emma to go pick out a movie.
"Um, no of course. Go ahead," I replied dumbly.
Emma darted off towards the living room, leaving me alone with my reason for taking cold showers.
Awesome.
"Great," she responded, walking towards the cupboards. "I bought some candy yesterday, but I wanted to make sure first it was okay with you that she had some."
Of course, because Bella Swan doesn't take anything for granted.
"Fridays and Saturdays are junk-food days," I told her. "Emmett would have my head on a platter if Emma never had candy."
So would Emma, I added mentally.
"I can see him threatening you with that, yes," she laughed and poured a bag of candy into a bowl.
I noticed then that I still had the fridge door open, so after getting a Coke, I closed it.
"You're joining us, right?"
God, yes.
"Sure," I said.
Emma returned, holding up none other than Ice Age, and I fought the urge to groan and whine. Instead I plastered a smile on my face and followed the girls into the living room where Emma lunged for the couch while Bella put the DVD on.
*No, Daddy. Bella will sit here,* Emma told me with a stern look.
Feeling mildly reprimanded, I moved for the other side of the couch while Emma stayed on the opposite end.
…leaving Bella to sit between us.
Fucking A, I thought sarcastically.
With the big-ass bowl of candy in between them, they giggled and laughed as they got comfortable, and I… just sat there.
They became thick as thieves from day one, pretty much, and now, a couple of months later, they were two wrapped up in one. Almost as if Bella was her… family member. You know.
"Movie's that way," Bella teased, pointing at the screen when she caught me looking at them.
"Yes, ma'am," I chuckled, shaking my head to get rid of the shit stirring inside me.
The movie was boring. As hell.
But I already knew this, having watched it a thousand times before. And halfway through, my eyes got heavier and heavier.
A nap wouldn't hurt. So, I leaned back to get comfortable and then I closed my goddamn eyes.
It was far from restful, and I was only under for a few minutes before I woke up again, which was why I heard the unmistakable sound of my girl's giggling quite easily. Followed by a quiet 'schhh,' and I could imagine Bella motioning for her to be quiet.
Emma Cullen is a girl full of mischief, so it didn't take me long to understand that they had some shit planned, but I kept my eyes closed, kinda curious to see what they had cooked up.
The weight shifted on the couch, so I knew they got closer to where I was.
Hard not to smile, actually.
Closer.
My princess was finding it extremely hard not to giggle.
Closer.
I wish I would be able to hear a signal, but I knew Bella would keep that signal quiet.
Closer.
Then there were laughter, and two sets of hands tickling my sides, and I jerked 'awake,' and was about to catch my Emma, but she…
"Son of a bitch!" I cried out.
Bella tried but failed miserably to contain her laughter as she pulled Emma off my lap, and I… covered what was now really fucking harmed by Emma's stomping foot.
Dear lord, save my jewels.
"Holy fucking hell," I… sort of whimpered, biting down on my knuckle.
That hurt. God, it hurts.
So badly.
"Are you okay?" Bella whimpered. Mmhmm, also whimpered. But for a whole other reason.
"You know, you're failing really fucking badly at showing pity," I groaned out quite breathlessly.
"God, I'm so sorry, Edward," she fucking laughed.
Emma laughed, too.
Lovely.
Holy shit, will the pain ever end?
"I think she broke them," I whimpered yet again.
The girls laughed. Well, Bella's laughter actually got louder.
Excellent.
Emma most likely laughed because she saw Bella laugh, and also because she thinks nothing can harm Daddy. And Bella, she's vicious, and very aware of my… predicament, but is still laughing.
I think my balls died.
Eventually the pain started lifting, and I breathed through the pain. Breathed through the pain. Breathed. Through. The. Pain.
"Stop laughing, woman," I mumbled as I uncovered my valuables, and shot her a weak glare.
"You're so cute, Edward," she giggled. "I'm sure you'll survive. Just lean back and take it like a man."
I stared at her incredulously.
Ta-… Take it like a man?
I JUST DID!
This is how a man takes pain to the nuts!
"Devil woman," I whispered under my breath as I leaned back on the couch, and closed my eyes.
Hot, sexy, gorgeous, devil woman.
And then I groaned as the pain finally left me.
So fucking gooood…
"Feeling better?" God, I could practically hear her smirk.
If that was possible.
"Not thanks to you," I huffed petulantly, keeping my eyes closed.
"Emma, Daddy's in pain. Maybe you should give him a hug and a kiss," I heard Bella say.
I opened my eyes just in time to see Emma nod, flashing me her lopsided grin.
My girl.
She bounced her way over to me, her arms going around my neck, and you better believe I caught her this time. Hugging my princess back, I took the opportunity to tickle her.
I'm not stupid. Hell, I needed my payback.
Squealing and squirming, Emma tried and tried to-
"What the hell!" I chortled.
"Set the girl free," Bella laughed as she fucking tickled me!
"Okay, okay!" I laughed, handing Emma over. "Two against one. Not fair!" I added once Emma was in Bella's arms.
They just laughed and nodded like it was a sure thing they would team up.
"You forgot to kiss me," I told Emma, even managed pull off a pout.
And just because I was a glutton for punishment, I didn't stop there.
Leaning towards them, Emma gave me one of her smooches that always made me sappy inside. And then I gave Bella – who was dangerously close now – a look of authority and pointed at my cheek.
"You, too, devil woman," I said.
They both giggled like crazy, and while Emma gave me an adorable Eskimo kiss, Bella kissed my cheek.
Soft, soft lips.
I felt like the luckiest bastard on earth.
"Thank you, ladies." I smirked as I leaned back.
This was of course the moment Emma announced that it was time for Ice Age II, so my awesome mood sorta flew out the fucking window. And as Bella happily put the godforsaken DVD on, I watched her… you know, bending over slightly to put it on… and I groaned internally, knowing that another cold shower was in order tonight.
*O*O*O*
A few days later, and things were bad.
Really bad.
Bella and I had entered some friend-stage, and though I truly loved spending time getting to know her better, it also made her that much more attractive.
She explained how it was growing up without a father, because he was shot in line of duty when Bella was two months old, she told me how Renée coped by moving them from Seattle to the small town of Forks where Renée's mother lived, and Bella just… let me into her life. She talked. And I soaked it all up, feeling more and more… stuff… stirring inside me.
She told me how she wanted to open her own community center for children where they would focus on being creative. A place where Bella wanted to have workshops and classes within subjects that inspired children; such as learning how to play an instrument, drawing, scrapbooking and painting, dancing and singing. And the way she was so goddamn passionate when she spoke…
Sweet mother of Jesus, that was one cold ass shower I had after that night.
Yes, night.
For the past few nights, we've eaten dinner together in the living room, and the thing is that nothing has felt forced or awkward. She's just so incredibly social and easygoing that it's impossible to feel uncomfortable around her.
She's also told me that she did decide to take that art class she wanted to take, and that though her mother was disappointed, she understood that it was Bella's life, and her decisions. And for some reason I was… proud. Of her.
Is Bella still an enigma? Oh, yes.
I still don't understand why she blushes sometimes, and I don't know why she insists that we eat in the living room and not the kitchen. Not that I don't mind, because I really don't, I just don't understand. Just like I don't understand why she's sorta shy after seeing Alice. But I've learned that the two – now since they don't live together – go to a coffee shop after school, and you know, do their girl-thing, and when she comes home after one of these dates she's shy, and blushing more.
She almost gave me a heart attack when the cleaning lady that comes once a week tried to clean her room. It was when Mrs. Cope opened the door to her room that Bella gasped out a loud 'no,' and I was sitting with Emma just a few feet away, and at first I thought something was wrong… but then when I found out why, it just confused the fuck out of me. Even more when Bella blushed furiously and explained that she had something on her bed that she didn't want Cope to see, but before I could ask her to elaborate, Emma interrupted by telling us she was hungry.
Any-fucking-way, it's Thursday today, and Emmett and Rose are coming over to talk Halloween plans with Emma.
Yes, there's an annual party.
Jasper's coming over with Katie, too.
And speaking of Jasper, that man has been weird all week at work. And I'm beginning to wonder if Tanya's done something.
Definitely gonna talk to him on Saturday.

No comments: