Friday, June 1, 2012

Sign 17

EPOV
I was ready.
I was prepared.
I was determined.
Bella will be mine. I'll make sure of it. Goddamnit, I'll make her fall in love with me, and that's that.
End of.
Day one. Here we go.
I paused outside her door.
"You can do this, Cullen," I mumbled to myself. "Just… just tell her. Explain and… yeah, just tell her… She will be fine… right? Of course she will."
Shit.
I'm nervous.
Bella told me to stop being stupid, and I hope this doesn't fall under the stupid-category, because I prefer to see it under the this-is-Edward-Cullen-showing-how-serious-he-is category.
Yes, there is such a category.
I created it.
With a deep breath, or fourteen of them, I opened the door.
And there she was.
Looking so fucking cute in her little dresses. Yes, she dressed herself, apparently, and she's wearing one purple dress and one pink dress.
As I walked over to her, she looked up and smiled like the gorgeous girl she is, and I sat down in front of her… on the floor.
Don't worry, I won't fall asleep here this time.
*Good morning, Daddy. I am playing.*
"I can see that, Princess," I chuckled. "Bu why are you wearing two dresses?"
*Because I like them both.*
Of course.
Looking down, I stared dumbly at her Barbie's, thinking; why the fuck are their heads gigantic?
That's not how I remember Rose's Barbie's. You know, the ones I set on fire after she banged my first guitar on the floor because she was playing rock star.
Barbie's burn brilliantly. Or melt.
And the hair smells when it burns. Or melts.
Back to the point, Cullen…
Right.
"I need to talk to you, Emma," I told her, smiling.
*Talk,* was her short reply before brushing the hair on a gigantic Barbie-head.
I don't buy that sparkly stuff. Mom, Rose, and Bella does.
Speaking of Bella – the love of my life – she is having breakfast with Alice this Saturday morning, and I wonder; is Bella spilling the beans about what a complete fuckwit I've been?
Probably.
Anyway… I need to get this over with before we meet Jasper and Katie at the park.
As I sorted my thoughts, I realized that the Barbie's with gigantic heads could actually be of help here. You know, to make a five year old understand.
"It's a secret, so you can't tell Bella, okay?"
This had her attention of course, and she was cute as hell when she looked in the doorway just to make sure we were alone.
Then she nodded furiously as her eyes lit up in excitement.
Here we go.
"You know how Barbie and Ken are girlfriend and boyfriend?" I asked, feeling like a moron for no reason.
Emma stared at me like I had… grown a big ass Barbie-head.
Awesome.
*Daddy, this is not Barbie,* she told me and it was again, you know, that look; you're-so-dumb.
"Okay, what did you name it- her, then?" I asked, pointing at the doll with godawful make up.
It sparkled.
*It is Bratz, Daddy,* she replied, rolling her eyes at me as she finger-spelled Bratz.
She named her Barbie to Bratz?
Weird gal.
What-the-fuck-ever.
Attempt two.
"What did you name Bratz's boyfriend?" I asked then.
*Daddy! Her name is Bella! Not Bratz! She is a Bratz!*
Good God, what?
Roll with the punches, Cullen!
Right.
Okay, the Bratz who isn't a Bratz but is a Bratz and a Barbie, her name is Bella. Sure, I get it. Uh-huh. Of course.
Yeah…
"Of course. I understand," I lied. "What is Bella's boyfriend's name then?" I asked, trying to get to the point.
*His name is Daddy, of course.*
Umfhumph?
She was still brushing the hair on Bratz-Barbie-Bella, by the way.
I just stared at her dumbly.
Daddy and Bella?
Uh…
*What was the secret, Daddy?* she asked.
Well, it seems you already know everything, Princess.
Christ, it's not just women I don't understand; it's girls, too.
I took one of those big breaths to clear my head, and then I just… got it out.
"Daddy likes Bella, Princess, and I want her to be my girlfriend like your dolls are boyfriend and girlfriend." Then I hesitated… "Do you understand, sweetheart?"
*Yes, Daddy. You love Bella.*
My eyes bugged out.
She went back to brushing the hair on that gigantic head.
And this wasn't news to her.
My five year old knew. How? Fuck if I know, but I'm thinking… Rose.
Yeah.
"Yes, I do," I murmured to myself.
*Daddy?*
"Yeah?"
*Boyfriend and girlfriend kiss. You have to kiss Bella. And hug her a lot. And buy her flowers and candy. I like candy. I love Skittles.*
I- um… okay? So, I'm taking dating advice from my daughter? And she's okay with this?
Shit, I'm a mess.
"I know you love Skittles," I chuckled, shaking my head to get some fucking clarity. "But baby, are you okay with this? Is it okay with you if I hug Bella a lot and kiss her?"
*Yes, because if you don't kiss, there will not be more babies.*
And that's how the air escaped my lungs.
In a whoosh.
This conversation is so over. I came here to ask her about me and Bella, and clearly, Emma is fine with it.
"Okay, Princess, but don't tell Bella about this yet, alright?" I choked out. Good thing she couldn't hear my voice for once.
Babies? Holy fuck.
I have to win the woman over first, goddamnit.
*I promise. Can we go to the park now, Daddy? And can I have Skittles today?*
"Sure, baby." I snickered. "But only if we change your clothes. It's too cold for dresses."
Even if you're wearing two of them…
*O*O*O*
"Fuckin' frigid," Jazz muttered, making sure his jacket was zipped properly.
I agreed. New York in December wasn't exactly tropical, and Jasper and I were sitting on a bench, freezing our asses off as Emma and Katie were running around on the playground. But the cold didn't matter that much. I'd much rather be here than in one of those indoor playgrounds where there are germs all over the place. And here, the kids have fresh air.
Cold, cold, cold, but fresh.
"You look happy," Jasper commented.
I eyed him curiously. "I do?"
"Mm," he replied, nodding once before turning back to the playground. "Could it be because of last night's talk with a certain Bella?"
Oh, for the love of…
"And you heard that through the grapevine?" I asked, sarcasm lacing my voice.
Not that I cared but fuck, how fast can Alice talk? I mean, it's quite fucking obvious that Bella's told her, and now… Jasper knows? Of course it's Alice.
"Alice called me right before we got here," he said, cracking a small smile.
It was the first one I had seen that didn't come thanks to Katie.
It felt good.
Emma and Katie came running towards us then, but not because we're awesome dads that they wanna hang out with. No, it's cause we have the juice boxes and the Skittles.
Then they ran off again.
"So, she gave you a week, huh?"
"Yes," I chuckled.
It was carefree, and Jasper was right. I did feel happier, and if I felt it, I probably looked happier, too.
If I don't fuck up again, which I won't so help me God, then I might have Bella soon. As mine. No casual. Just mine. And I'll make it forever.
I'm curious about her feelings towards me, of course, but they have to be somewhat deep for her to want this, right? I mean, you don't enter a relationship where a child is involved if it's just a minor crush. And though she might not be in love with me yet, I've made it my goal to make sure that happens.
I'm done screwing up. I'm done making assumptions.
"So, what's the plan then, Cullen?" He smirked.
"I talked to Emma this morning," I said, smiling as I watched her and Katie by the swings. "Told her that I liked Bella, and that I wanted her to be my girlfriend. In the end she was the one telling me how things worked."
"To be a fly on that wall," he mused quietly.
I chuckled. "Seriously, man, I went for the Barbie-and-Ken story. I thought it would be easier for her to understand, but somehow she already knew that I not only liked Bella, but that I loved her."
Jazz didn't need many seconds to put it together. "Rose?"
"Most likely." I nodded. "I mean, I know Rose and Emma's been talking, and Rose has crossed a shitload of lines, but in the end… I can't really be pissed, because everyone knew the obvious when I didn't."
"And Rose and Mom have tried to talk to me, but I wouldn't listen," I added in their defense, because it was the truth after all. "They've been telling me that Bella's different from the start, so I can only blame my own stubbornness." I shrugged.
Then there's the fact that my princess is perceptive as hell, and thinking back on everything now… yeah, I can't really rule out the possibility of Emma suspecting things.
We were quiet for a while longer, and though I wanted to ask him about his own mess, I could see that he was still dealing with it so I kept quiet.
I'll give him a while longer before I step in.
"Okay, so you've talked to Emma," Jasper said after a while. "What's next?"
I smiled and faced him.
"I'm finally going to be able to show my true self, of course."
He smirked. "Asking her out?"
"Yep."
*O*O*O*
Bella was home when Emma and I returned from the park, and though I was thoroughly nervous about seeing her, I was determined to get this right.
She had left before I woke up this morning, so I expected her to still be upset with me of course, but it wouldn't get in my way. I was going to be myself now, and Emma was aware.
After helping Emma out of her overalls, we headed for the kitchen, 'cause it was time for hot chocolate and marshmallows.
Bella stood with her back to us as we reached the kitchen, and I gave Emma a pointed look to which she grinned and nodded back. Yeah, she was excited about my plan to win Bella over, and yes, I had told her that this was the plan 'to win Bella.'
Our plan was detailed and elaborate, and it had taken the entire walk home from the park to get it right, because Emma was very demanding, and… I'd say persistent.
When it came to certain things.
"Hello, beautiful," I said, winking at her as she spun around with a confused expression.
"Um, hi?" she replied.
*Hi, Bella!*
"Hey, Sweetie."
Yeah, Emma got the big ass smile. But don't worry, I'll get it, too. Sooner or later.
"Why are you so cheery?" she asked me then, cocking an eyebrow at me as I pulled out the marshmallows.
"No reason." I shrugged, still smiling. "By the way, what are your plans for tonight?"
She eyed me suspiciously.
I fought a bigger smile.
"What's up your sleeve, Cullen?" she asked with narrowed eyes.
"Plans," I said flatly. "Or were you speaking literally? 'Cause I'm pretty sure you've seen my biceps."
As I passed her, I tapped her lightly on the nose, and then I headed for the fridge to get the milk, because I didn't want a whiny Emma on my tail, and right now she wanted hot chocolate with marshmallows.
However, in Emma's case, I'd say it's more marshmallows with a little hot chocolate on the side. Seriously, the girl can shove an entire bag on those foamy things in her mug.
Not kidding.
"So, about tonight?" I asked again, moving to the stove.
Boiling pan. Check.
Milk. Check.
"Well, um… the plan is to head over to the new apartment and check a few things before I sign the papers," she mumbled, still a bit- a lot, confused as to why I'm so fucking happy.
And fucking A, by the way.
She hasn't signed the papers? Excellent.
That means less hassle.
"Cancel it," I told her, and then I brought out mine and Emma's special mugs.
I have to say I love them.
On Emma's – and yes, it's pink – it says 'Daddy's princess.' And on my blue one, it says 'Emma's daddy.' Gift from Jasper and Katie from last year, and they have the same ones.
We're that cool.
But I think Katie's is purple. Can't really remember. Emma picked them out for them, just as Katie picked out mine and Emma's.
"What? What do you mean 'cancel it'?" Bella asked.
She was in my periphery but I kept my eyes on the milk, because I tended to burn stuff when I didn't pay attention.
Hah! That thought works in other departments, too, now when I think about it.
But I'm fixing this. I haven't burnt all my bridges with Bella. I refuse to believe that.
"I mean 'cancel all of it,' Bella," I said, stirring the milk with a wooden spoon. Or ladle. I couldn't find the whisk. "You're not moving. You won't need another apartment. Don't sign the papers."
"Excuse me?" she stuttered.
I fought another smile as I turned to Emma who was watching us from the table.
Yes, she was paying attention. And grinning. Widely.
"Emma, Bella thinks she's moving," I chuckled.
*That is silly, Bella,* Emma told her. *You live here.*
"Exactly," I said, nodding firmly.
Bella was cute when she was gaping like a fish.
But I turned back to the stove. Didn't want the milk to burn.
"So, you're free tonight, then?" I asked, walking over to the cupboard where we had cocoa.
"Um… uh… huh?"
Yes, that was her reply.
"Excellent," I said. "That means I can take you out."
"W-what? T-take me out?"
"On a date, silly," I snickered. "In fact, I'm going to need you to clear your nights for the next seven days."
I have seven days. I plan to use them well.
"Edward," she said quietly, standing right next to me. "What are you doing?"
Being myself.
"What I should've done from the beginning," I murmured, dipping down to kiss the top of her head. "You gave me a week, sweetheart. Make yourself available."
She looked up at me with big eyes, and I nodded, giving her my 'yes' to every question I could see in those liquid pools.
Yes, you are my sweetheart. Yes, I'm taking this seriously. Yes, I know Emma's watching us. Yes, I know I've been an idiot. Yes, this is happening.
And… "No, I won't give up," I added, pressing my lips against her forehead. "I love you, and I'm not letting you go. Ever."
I could see the war going on inside of her, but the only thing I knew she was going to find in my eyes was determination. And honesty, of course. I was done hiding. No more games, and I don't wanna hear the word casual… ever again.
My cuff vibrated, and I chuckled as I looked over my shoulder to see Emma grinning at us… but she was also gesturing towards the boiling milk… uhm…
Shit.
"Good thing we have more milk," I mumbled under my breath.
And so… I started over with the hot chocolate.
"You seem confident." Bella smirked, watching me as I stood by the stove. "Confident that I'll cave."
Woman is making me sweat.
And was I confident?
Not one bit. But I was determined to give my all. That's all I can do.
"I assure you I'm not," I chuckled, shaking my head slightly. "But a guy's gotta try, eh?"
*O*O*O*
"Spider Monkey!"
*Uncle Emmett!*
Squealing from Emma – booming laughter from Emmett.
After I sent Bella into her room to get ready, I had called Emmett to come over to watch Emma for a few hours. I had already texted him this morning, but I didn't know the exact time then, but now he's here, and Bella will soon emerge for our date.
Our first date.
I'm giddy.
And fucking nervous.
I'm not doing this the cliché way. No traditions. I want Bella to know that this is me, and… yeah, I'm going to show her a part of myself tonight.
That sounded naughty.
Don't worry, it isn't.

No comments: