Friday, June 1, 2012

Sign 2

EPOV
As luck would have it, Bella was interested, and Rose helped me set up a meeting for the following week.
That's also the period of time it took me to convince myself that I could look at Bella without feeling like a creep.

Clearly I was an idiot, because a week later when I opened the door for her, I had obviously not convinced myself that I could do this. No, instead I had evidently suppressed the memory of how she looked.

Lord have mercy on me, I thought as I took in the sight of her.

It was only four PM, so I quickly understood that she had come here directly from class.

A dance class, no doubt.

Snug, black yoga pants, ponytail, and a t-shirt with 'Juilliard' on it. Oh, and a gym bag.

"Bella." I smiled. "Nice to see you again." And so much of you… "Come on in."

Thank God I decided to wear jeans. You know, more resistance. Also, thank God I didn't wear my ragged Juilliard t-shirt that I like to wear after working out. That might have been a tad too much. No, the black one I settled on was definitely better.

"Thank you for agreeing to see me," she replied, smiling brightly. "I have to say I was surprised when Rose approached me at the gym about this".

"She's not one to waste time, that one," I chuckled as I gestured for us to sit in the living room. "And I guess if the opportunity is there…" I trailed off.

"Absolutely," she said, nodding in understanding. "Wow, this is a nice place," she murmured then, and I noticed her eyes resting on the baby grand I had in the corner.

It's home.

To be honest, it is a nice place. Thanks to Mom and Rose, of course. I'm not one for decorating, but they sure are.

When we moved in, it was simply an apartment with four bedrooms, a living room, a kitchen, two baths, and a hallway, but once Mom and Rose finished, it was the place I pictured myself living in for the rest of my life. And the living room is without a doubt one of my favorite rooms. With beige, brown, and white, the square room is warm and homey, and that was all I ever wanted. And the plush couch sure helps. God knows I don't want to live in something stiff and too stylish. And when you have kids, you don't really want things that are either too breakable or hazardous. But the favorite thing about the living room is obviously the large windows. Living on the 15th floor gives you an awesome view of the park, and it's definitely one of the reasons I bought the place.

"Thank you," I responded politely. "How about a tour before we talk?"

"Sounds perfect. Where's Emma, by the way?"

"She's with my parents over dinner. My mom takes care of her a few afternoons every week," I explained.

"And that's why you need a sitter," she guessed.

"Exactly." I nodded. "That, and the fact that my fall will be busy with work."

Since we had taken left in the hallway, I figured we could just continue, so I led her out of the living room, pointing at the doors as we passed them, 'guestroom,' 'bathroom,' 'my music-room,' 'my bedroom,' which we passed quickly, and then I stopped outside of Emma's room.

"And this is Emma's room," I said and opened the door.

It's pink. Everywhere. All pink. Pink and fluffy shit in pink.

Quite the contrast of the rest of the apartment and its nature themed colors. You know the ones; brown, beige, white, green…

But this… so fucking pink.

"Hmm, I wonder what her favorite color is," Bella joked as she looked around.

"Grey," I deadpanned.

"Wow, you're all sorts of fun," she laughed before turning back to the room. "But seriously, this room must be every girl's dream. Is it wrong for me to assume that you had female assistance?"

I snickered. "No, that's very correct."

Bubblegum, that's what her room reminded me of. Pink walls, white ceiling – but(!) the ceiling had pink stars here and there – pink bed with pink sheets, pink painted dresser and rocking chair, pink pillows in her fairytale-corner, pink drapes, pink rug… not a pink floor, actually.

After a good dose of pink, I led Bella to the kitchen on the other side of the apartment, and this was the only place that was less homey. I still loved it, though, and I have to admit that it's a… sexy kitchen.

Yes, I can say that and be straight.

But seriously, with cupboards in glossy black, a countertop in glossy white, and kitchen furniture in red, it is a sexy kitchen. And I'm trying to not picture Bella on the countertop right now… with less clothes on.

She's nineteen, she's nineteen, she's nineteen.

She'll be twenty soon.

Shut the fuck up.

"Cool kitchen," she commented. "Very different from the rest of the apartment."

"It is." I nodded, gesturing for her to have a seat at the table. "Easy to hose down when Emma's been baking with Nana," I chuckled.

"That I can imagine," she giggled. Yes, giggled.

Down, boy.

"Can I get you anything to drink?" I offered. "Coffee, juice, soda…"

"Water's fine."

I nodded and headed for the fridge for two bottles of water.

When I returned to the table, I didn't waste time.

I took my seat and handed her a bottle of water. "So," I sighed. "I guess we both have questions."

"Yeah." She smiled. "I suppose hours is one of the main things… And I guess you should know how I act with children," she chuckled.

"Yeah, although I did see enough to know that you're relaxed around Emma, and that's the most important thing," I said. "I don't really have any demands on previous experience more than common sense, and like I said, that Emma's comfortable." And then I added, "I mean, the tasks won't be anything difficult, and I'll even be home for the most part. I just need someone to be there for her when I'm working in my office."

"What do you work with?" she asked curiously before taking a sip of her water.

"I compose music," I answered. "Mostly for Broadway shows, but sometimes for commercials and movies. As long as it doesn't entail travelling."

Bella was impressed, and I enjoyed that a little bit too much.

"But… uhm, wow… That's rather impressive for being twenty-eight," she mumbled, almost to herself, and I tried not to think about the fact that she knew my age.

Had Rose mentioned it casually when explaining my situation about Emma, or had Bella asked?

Jesus, time to stop.

Act professional for God's sake.

"I've worked hard, I guess." I shrugged. "But I always knew what I wanted, and thanks to my family, I could achieve it even when I had Emma."

The smile that Bella gave me was almost too much to handle. It was as if she was in awe of me, and I was, well, I wouldn't say modest, but it made me feel stuff when she was the one looking at me like that.
I also wondered just how much Rose had told her about my life, because I knew that Rose loved to bitch about Heidi, and what a skank she was. Rose's words, not mine, although I'm with her on that one, 100%.

Time to change the subject.

"So, I suppose the only thing I really need to know is if you think there will be any issues with taking care of Emma what with her condition and all," I said.

I already knew the answer of course, but confirmation was needed, because I wanted this to work.

"Absolutely not," Bella assured. "I sign fluently, and the this isn't really foreign to me." She paused. "Partly because I grew up with a deaf mother, but also because she was a single parent. So, in a way I suppose I can relate to Emma."

My mind sure as hell spun as I listened to Bella. Firstly, because she seemed so mature and easy going, understanding and relaxed, but also because I was curious to know more. More about how she grew up with her mother, and how they handled everything, because truth be told, it was a life that needed adjustments, not to mention patience.

I can't take anything for granted; I can't expect people to just know how to act around either me or Emma, and it's those reactions that have sort of made me shy away from the outside world. Not that I'm hiding or anything like that, but I simply keep to those that are already close to me. I'm hardly one to meet new people.

"Are you and your mother from New York?" I asked curiously.

"No, we're from Washington," she chuckled. "I grew up in this shitty little town, four hours from Seattle. And I sorta hated the place so much that I managed to graduate high school two years early. So, New York was quite a change of scenery."

Ah, so that's how she's already at her third year…

"I can imagine." I grinned. "Rose told me you're starting your third year at Juilliard?"

"Yeah." She smiled excitedly. "The semester just started yesterday, and I'm excited to say the least. At first I was hesitant to move so far away from home, but once I got here, I just knew that this was the city for me. And I love Juilliard; everyone's so creative, you know?"

"I do." I nodded, grinning like a fool. "I went there myself, though I studied music."

"Yeah, Rose told me," she said… and blushed.

What's that about?

Before I could ponder further, Bella changed the subject. "So… what are your thoughts around all this with Emma? I mean, what are you looking for in a sitter?"

You, I wanted to say.

"Basically a friend of some sort," I said instead. "Someone who keeps her company while I work. Like I said, I will be home for most part, it's just that I need to be able to close myself in and focus, you know? I can't really do that with my mind on what Emma's up to.
"So, yeah, a friend… And someone to be there and help her with going to the bathroom, or help her if she's hungry, and then be there for bath time."

She nodded, taking it all in, and it didn't seem like there would be any issues, which made me relieved.

"I take it, we're both on the same page about the hours," I added. "I mean, I know you have classes, and since I work from home, it's pretty much up to you.
"Emma has daycare from eight to three, and after that it's up to your schedule. As long as you can stay for at least four hours a day during the week, I don't have a problem with anything."

"Sounds good. I get off at different hours most days, but I know that I'm done around five at the latest. But usually it's around four."

"Okay." I nodded, inwardly way too happy that this was actually happening. "Do you have any other questions revolving hours?"

She pursed her lips… pouty lips, thinking about it.
"Well, the only thing I can think of are recitals, late night rehearsals, and auditions. Though they don't come too often, it would be on those nights I'm unavailable," she said softly.

"That won't be a problem," I assured. "Just give me a heads up as soon as possible, and I'll make arrangements with my parents or Rose and Em."

"Alright," she replied simply.

"What's your major?" I asked… just because I wanted to know so badly.

"Ballet," she answered. "I thought briefly about Modern, but ballet is more me… when it comes to dance anyways."

God, that just led to more questions.

But yes, watching her… she was perfect for the ballet, with her slender figure. Supple and so naturally beautiful.

Fuck, this will be harder than I thought.

My intercom rang then, and I excused myself to go get it.

"Yes?" I answered once I reached it in the hallway.

"Mr. Cullen, Mr. McCarty is here with Miss Emma."

Always so formal those doormen, I thought, rolling my eyes.

"Send 'em up, Eleazar," I chuckled.

After hanging up, I walked back to the kitchen to warn Bella about my brother-in-law.

It was necessary.

"Emma's back." I grinned. "But you're also about to meet Emmett, and though you may see him at the gym… He might act differently with you here."

"Um, okay?" she replied, confused of course.

I didn't want to tell her that Emmett would be suggestive.

So, I didn't.

But that was just the story of Emmett McCarty.

Despite being a year older than me, he acted like a five year old, and I wasn't surprised to hear that he was bringing Emma back. We all knew how much Emmett loved Emma, and to be honest, he was the best uncle she could ever have.

Maybe 'cause they're on the same intellectual level…

Kidding. Somewhat.

The doorbell dinged then, and I motioned for Bella to stay while I got the door.

I was seriously aching to see my princess, but I was also dreading Emmett's colorful words.

"Hi, you two." I grinned after opening the door.

*Hi, Daddy,* she signed, yawning as she did so.

My little girl was, unsurprisingly, looking very tired in her ruffled pants and t-shirt – both items of clothing, pink – and I could only imagine what Emmett's done.

Monkey bars, is all I'm saying.

Emma bounced toward me with open arms, and once she was situated on my hip, she didn't waste time to snuggle into the crook of my neck.

"You went to the park, I guess?" I smirked knowingly at Emmett.

"Hell yeah. Spider Monkey and I had a blast," he laughed.

His features changed then, and I knew. Already knew.

Goddamn.

"She still here?" he asked, waggling his eyebrows.

"Yes, she is," I sighed, shaking my head at him. "Wanna come inside for a while?"

"Of course," he replied, his eyes lighting up in excitement.

"Don't say anything stupid, alright?" I warned him.

"I would never," he replied, way too innocently.

Sure you wouldn't, I thought, squatting down on the floor with Emma. And once she was standing, I kissed
her cheek to get her attention as I removed her shoes.

*We have company, Princess,* I told her, smiling.

This had her attention of course.

*Who?*

"Remember Rose's friend – Bella? From the supermarket?"

She nodded.

"She is in the kitchen." I winked.

Two seconds, and Emma was gone.

"I guess Bella made an impression, huh?" Emmett chuckled as we followed her.

"Apparently," I snickered.

On me, too.

By the time we reached the kitchen, Bella and Emma were already in a deep conversation about the Monkey bars in Central Park, and Emmett barely got a half wave from Bella before she turned back to my girl.

Yes, Bella will be perfect for Emma.

It was hard not to stare, but damn, watching Bella look so excited over what Emma was telling her… it did stuff to me as a dad. It mattered so much, because that's always been the issue with Emma.
She's so outgoing and happy, she loves to meet new people, and though she knows, and is aware of her situation and can't communicate like others, she's not one to shy away. And this, having Bella as a new friend, will definitely be a great thing in Emma's life.

Of course she has friends in her own age, a few of them really close, but unfortunately they don't live on Manhattan, except for Katie of course. And it's not easy to get to Jersey, Long Island, or Brooklyn just like that when I work.

"I want to talk, too, Emma." Emmett sulked playfully.

Imagine my surprise when Bella gave him a firm no, and Emma just shook her head before going back to talking swings and slides.

Even Emmett was stumped.

"I think you've got some competition, Em," I laughed.

His playful sulk turned into a real sulk.

Eventually my princess yawned more than talked, so I told her it was time to say goodbye to Bella and Emmett, but not before Bella and I decided that she would come by tomorrow with Rose to 'try' a night.

We briefly covered the issue of payment also, and I thought it was odd when Bella didn't seem interested in the matter.

Isn't that why people get jobs? To pay rent, food, and utilities?

It wasn't until after we had said goodbye, and I was on the phone with Rose that I got my answer.

Apparently Bella was a trust fund baby, and worked because she liked it.

Just another thing that makes Bella an enigma.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

reading this one of yours now too. geez, i am loving it after 2 chapters. There is something about the way you write that just captures me.