Friday, June 1, 2012

Sign 13

EPOV
I'm sitting in our- my kitchen, waiting for Bella who is in her room… getting ready… and, well, I'm getting a bit antsy.
By the way, La Perla is a fucking lingerie store. Yeah, I looked that shit up when I saw the big bag Bella came home with. That just couldn't be jewelry – with that big bag – so I Googled it.
I'm in trouble. S'all I'm saying.
Anyway.
Rose and Bella came home around five, and like Emmett said, Rose had bought me clothes for the night, and now I'm sporting grey dress pants, a grey shirt with the sleeves rolled up, black shoes, a black skinny tie, and a studded cuff for… you know, that rock-feeling… or whatever my sister said.
"Okay, I'm leaving now," I heard Rose say… just before she reached the kitchen, and once she did… um. "I'll be going with Mom and Dad, so we'll see you and Bella there."
"No. No, no, no, no, no," I said, shaking my head at her. "You're not wearing that, sis. Uh-uh, no fucking way. No."
I knew exactly what her dress was called.
Slutty.
Many characters in the musical are wearing those dresses, and I believe I've heard the term 'Lolita-dress,' and yes, yes, yes, I have pictured Bella in many of them, but on my sister? Fuck and no. It's short, it's frilly, it has a corset that makes her, you know… female parts… show, and I'm cringing… Thinking about calling Emmett to put a stop to the fuckery, but then I realize that Emmett probably knows already and is looking forward to when Rose comes home tonight, and I cringe again.
"Nice try, brother of mine, but yes, I am." She smiled sweetly. "It's the theme, you know."
"But do you have to take shit that far?" I asked incredulously, eyeing her high, high heels in leather. "I mean, you, Mom and Dad aren't even on the carpet. You don't need to follow the fucking theme!"
"But it's so much fun!" was her excited reply. "Anyway, I'll see you tonight, Edward." She walked over to me, kissed my cheek, and I hated the fact that I loved the bitch, 'cause I could never stay mad at her. "I'm proud of you, brother," she finished softly, winking at me before straightening her not-so-there dress.
"Yea, yea, get outta here, woman," I grumbled, cursing myself for not being able to stand up to her. It's a Cullen curse, I swear, because Dad's the same. Neither one of us can stand up to the women in our family. We're always caving.
"Do you have my list, by the way?" she asked from the doorway.
I rolled my eyes at her. "Yes, I have the damn list."
"Good. Love ya!"
"Love you, too," I chuckled, shaking my head at her as she left.
Whenever I had a new project, Rose would bug me for days to find out about the actors starring, and when the premiere came up, she would hand me a list with names. Names of the people she wanted autographs from. And yes, I was the poor fucker who had to ask them.
After a few minutes, my head snapped up 'cause I had sorta been resting it on the table… but now, now I'm hearing heels clicking… approaching. And my jaw dropped.
Bella. In the doorway.
Oh, my fuck.
I… I can't breathe. Is… is it hot in here or what?
Blood flow's gone south. Way south. The south shall rise agai- the south is rising. In a rapid speed. Yep, them pants are mighty tight about now.
Oh, God.
"You like?" she asked coyly, twirling around once before walking over to me, and did I like? No, how about 'I love.'
How about 'I fucking adore.'
Her dress, in black and white plaid, so fucking tight, so damn sinful, and for the love of… Shit, her heels. High, high heels, and good God, her lips. Deep red. Plump and luscious, just begging for my cock. And my mouth. Yes, God, I want to kiss the shit out of her.
Claim her as mine.
That's what I want.
"Yes, that's what I want," I heard myself say huskily, and yes, I just voiced a thought, so here comes the not-so-smooth cover, "I mean, yes… Fuck, I like… a lot… Christ, Bella, so fucking sexy."
Shut up, Cullen.
Right.
I sighed. Made a bubble face. Closed my eyes. Shook my head to clear it.
We need to leave. Now. Before I take her on the counter.
Hard.
I'd just lift that dress up, slide her panties aside, and then-
STOP!
"Ditto," Bella murmured then, and I opened my eyes to see her darkened ones, her cheeks slightly flushed… oh, God, she's turned on.
Fuck.
Not now.
"We need to go," I blurted out, and then I thought, fuck it, might as well tell her the truth. "Before I do something stupid."
"Maybe later tonight when we get home? And hopefully you'll like my black thong that I bought… oh, and the corset, of course," she said, giving me that coy smile again, and I'm nodding, cause yeah, later tonight: it's on.
I haven't even seen it yet and I'm already planning on sending La Perla a big fat gift basket to show my appreciation.
I am a gentleman after all.
*O*O*O*
"We're here, Mr. Cullen," the limo driver announced.
Yes, limo. All important employees arrive in one, and apparently I'm one of those this time. Who knew?
"Thanks, Paul," I said, reaching for the door.
"You ready, beautiful?" I grinned at Bella who looked a little nervous.
She was also holding onto my bicep. Hard.
I didn't mind at all, but she seemed… off.
"Um, yeah, so there's a red carpet?" she asked hesitantly, biting her bottom lip. Her plump bottom lip. Mine.
"Yes?" I chuckled, confused, because she knew this. "I told you, didn't I?"
"Um, yes. Yeah, you did… S'just…"
Good God, woman, stop biting your lip. I beg you.
"What's wrong, beautiful?" I asked gently, releasing her lip from her teeth with my thumb.
'Cause that was just distracting.
"Okay, um… So, yeah, I'm normally a somewhat graceful person," Bella rambled, and yeah, I know she's graceful. "But I sorta have this thing… or rather… Well, heels don't like me."
I understand nada.
"Um…?" was my reply.
She sighed heavily before looking me in the eye. "I'm afraid I'll fall on the carpet when I'm wearing these heels. Rose convinced me to wear them, and now I'm killing her in my mind. With an ax… or maybe I'll use these heels."
Ah.
"Well, what am I here for?" I grinned. "Come on, beautiful, I won't let you fall."
As I opened the door, I thought I heard her mumble something like 'Already fallen, just wish someone else could do the same,' but I didn't understand. If she had already tripped with those shoes, then why the hell would she wear them now?
I held my hand out for her, swallowed hard as she grasped it. It never ceased to amaze me how right it felt when she was near me. In any way. And hand holding was new for us. We didn't exactly hold hands at home. Sure she could lie in my arms, but there was never a reason for us to hold hands, but now… as she took my hand to get out of the limo, it struck me how much it mattered. I suppose it's considered to be a small thing, but that's just it; to many hand holding is a normal thing. A small gesture. But for me it's not. For me it sort of represents us being together.
We're not, though.
"God, I'm just a glutton for punishment, being here," she muttered quietly as she got out of the limo.
"Just because of the shoes?" I laughed quietly, still thinking how much of an enigma Bella Swan is.
"Oh, um… yeah, cause of the shoes," she chuckled awkwardly.
Weird girl.
That I love.
Fucking hell, just stop it, Cullen!
"Ready to go?" I asked, giving her my best smile as I held my arm out for her. Even threw in a wink for good measure.
"Hum? Oh, uh yeah," she replied, her eyes slightly out of focus as she watched my face.
Was something wrong?
"You sure you're okay, swe-beautiful?"
Close call. Too close.
Call her 'sweetheart' and she'll run, you fuckwit!
I sighed.
"Yep, I'm sure," she replied, seemingly giving herself an inner pep talk or something.
Linking her arm with mine, she also hugged my bicep with her other hand, effectively staying very close to me, and in my pathetic little mind, she didn't do it out of fear of tripping. She did it because she loved having me close.
So pathetic, Cullen…
Whatever.
We reached the red carpet then, and sure enough, there were cameras and screaming people everywhere, so I quickly gathered that the leading actors were already here somewhere.
"This is surreal, Edward," Bella commented as we passed a few of the actors that were being interviewed. "Oh, my God, is that Chelsea James?"
I cringed internally.
Chelsea James was one of the leading actresses who also sang a lot in the show, and I was forced to work with her on more than one occasion.
"Yep," I sighed, and then I decided to change the subject. "And that's Ben Cheney she's standing with. You know of him, right?"
Ben and I had worked a lot together for this project and he was a terrific musician, a great actor, and a genuinely nice guy, although I had no fucking idea why he was with Chelsea, 'cause the not-so-subtle looks he'd been giving Jasper's assistant – Angela – had been like I said; not so subtle.
Maybe it's PR, I thought. I mean, they are the leading actors.
"Oh, of course I've heard of him. He's great." Bella nodded just as we passed them.
Jesus, I couldn't imagine being in the spotlight like that. 24/7. Fuck no.
"Actually there he is. Hey, Edward! Come on over here, man," I heard the unmistakable voice of Ben call.
Goddamnit.
Turning around again, I saw Ben motion for me to come over and I really, really didn't want to. I mean, they were being interviewed for fuck's sake. Cameras and shit. But I manned up and headed over with a confused Bella on my arm.
"Ben." I grinned, shaking his hand. "Excited for tonight?"
"Absolutely, and Gianna here just asked me how it was to write music for the show," he replied.
What the hell does that have to do with me?
Lastly, could they stop taking pictures?
God, so much shouting, too!
"Edward here was the lead composer for Volturi Rock," Ben said then, to the goddamn reporter, and I cringed internally again and brought Bella's hand to mine, threading our fingers together, because truth be told; I needed her touch if Ben was actually going to talk about me… to the fucking media!
At least Bella didn't seem to mind.
"Oh, of course!" the reporter exclaimed. "Edward Cullen, yes? You also wrote the music for Breaking Dawn last year!"
"Uh, yes," I replied, really uncomfortable with the microphone shoved in my face. "I was one of the composers at least."
"And now you've worked with Ben Cheney and Chelsea James amongst others. How was that?"
Take me away.
"Ben's a great musician, and it was fun working with him," I answered, avoiding the Chelsea-part, 'cause she sure as shit didn't write. I merely helped her get her shit in order and changed a few parts when she couldn't hit the high notes.
The chick's all nasal.
"Oh, Edward and I had so much fun," said the mentioned nasal voice that belonged to Chelsea James. "He's such an amazing writer."
Stepping in between Ben and me, Chelsea linked her arm with mine and I was very close to, I don't know, run away and hide?
As politely as one can do in front of cameras, I got free from her claws, tightened my hold on Bella's hand and leaned towards her. "Please save me," I whispered pleadingly.
I don't think people understand how much I hate this!
Bella gave me a mischievous smile, and I… didn't really know what to do or think or anything.
"Yes, isn't he?" Bella said… to Chelsea… I think. "Such an amazing man."
And then her hand was on my chest. I liked that. Loved it.
"Did you also work with them on the show, Ms…?" the reporter asked, smiling politely at Bella.
"Bella. And, no, I didn't work on the show," Bella replied, smiling beautifully as she positioned herself closer to me. "But I live with Edward and have had the great pleasure of watching him work on the musical from home, and Ms. James is right. He's such an amazing writer."
Please don't talk about me like that, Bella!
I truly felt like a petulant child in this mess, and I was so out of my element here. I didn't know what to do or say. Didn't know how to interpret Bella's words. Just… I just didn't wanna be in the goddamn spotlight.
But I was confused. Why did Chelsea and Bella sneer at each other?
Lord, I really don't understand women.
"Well, I think we should move on, Chelsea?" Ben suggested, making the reported leave us alone and shove her microphone up some actor's face. I could've kissed him. Almost. "We need to get ready before the show."
"Yes, of course," Chelsea replied. before turning to me. Batted her fake lashes. "I'll see you later for the party, yes?"
I wanna go home.
I can hide in Emma's room.
Forever. Pink isn't that bad.
"Of course, we'll be there. Unless we'll go home sooner, that is," Bella responded, smiling sweetly, once again putting her hand on my chest. "I'm sure you understand, I mean, look at him. Why go to a party when you can go home and have him all for yourself."
Um.
Okay, I'm gonna give this whole reading-women thing a try, alright?
Did Bella just…um…huh?
Because if I didn't know any better, I'd say she was… you know… staking claim.
But I'm wrong, right?
"Right," Ben smirked, "I'll catch ya later, Edward, and it was nice to meet you, Bella."
"You, too, Ben. Good luck tonight," Bella told him, still with that sweet ass smile.
Finally, with a smile and a nod, Ben dragged a glaring Chelsea James away. Out of my sight.
I breathed out in relief.
"Thank you," I sighed deeply, once again in nothing but relief.
"No problem." She shrugged. "But I don't like her anymore. Fucking skank."
Fu-… uh?
Then she just took my hand and motioned for us to head inside.
I was gaping at her.
"What?" she asked as we reached the entrance.
"What? You're asking me what?" I laughed incredulously. "Fucking skank?"
"Well, she was. She was flirting with you," she said, smiling in thanks as I held the door open for her. "And you don't do that when you're clearly not here alone."
God, I want her.
The lobby of the theatre was obviously full of people and it was mingle-mode amongst the guests as the actors got ready for the show, and of course, it didn't take long until we stumbled on my parents and my sister in the crowd.
"Oh, Edward, my baby, I'm so proud of you!" Mom squealed—as if I was the genius behind the musical.
"Mom, please," I complained quietly.
She just wouldn't stop hugging me.
"Leave the man alone, Esme," Dad chuckled after greeting Bella. "Seriously, darling. Let the boy go."
Finally, she did.
"I'm just so proud! I can't hug my son then?" Mom argued, and then she crashed Bella in an equally tight hug.
I rolled my eyes at her. Mom, that is.
"How are you, son? Excited for the night?" Dad asked and squeezed my shoulder.
Men don't hug in public.
Or in this case, Mom hugged me for the both of us. And I'm good 'til Christmas. Next year.
"I'm fine." I nodded. "My work is done, so now I can just sit back and relax. You?"
"All good here."
"Don't relax too much, Edward. You still have my list," Rose reminded me, linking arms with our dad.
"About that, Rose," Bella chimed in. "You might wanna get Chelsea James off that list."
"How come?" Rose asked, frowning in confusion, and I wasn't sure if I wanted to hide or die.
Or listen intently.
"How about I tell you while we go to the ladies room," Bella suggested. "Esme, you too, right?"
Mom beamed. "Of course!"
The next thing I saw was three women, linking arms, as they walked off towards the ladies room.
I didn't understand.
Dad didn't either.
Why would Bella bring that up? Why… just why. Was she really bothered by Chelsea's flirting?
That possibility thrilled me. Immensely.
But was it really possible, though? I mean, wouldn't that mean… I mean… don't you need to have feelings for someone in order to get jealous?
Could Bella have feelings for me?
Real ones?
*O*O*O*
By the time the chicks returned, it was time for us to take our seats, so there was no time for me to ask Bella if everything was okay. And Rose closed the subject by pointing a finger at me, saying, "Get that bitch off my list, 'cause she just made my shit-list instead."
Even Mom piped in with, "That Ms. James is a bitch."
I don't really have to say that I don't understand women, right?
Anyway, Bella and I made our way to the balcony reserved for employees, and my parents and Rose headed toward their seats on Balcony C. Obviously we ran into Jasper, but after a quick greeting, we took our seats. But of course Jasper managed to throw me a sly smirk before. Hence the quick greeting, because I knew it was coming, and I didn't want Bella around for that.
"I'm so excited, Edward," Bella murmured quietly, giving me that smile that made me swallow hard. "I can't wait to see your work."
I love you.
Fuck, why does she have to be so… Why is she so… caring. And interested. Is it because of the whole friend-thing? 'Cause we're friends? Is that why she's so animated about my work?
Snap out of it, you're over analyzing.
Right.
"I hope your expectations aren't too high," I chuckled quietly, trying to lighten the tension.
"I doubt they could be," she replied, leaning her head on my shoulder as the lights dimmed.
The tension didn't lighten. Not one bit. Because right now, I have the love of my life, sitting next to me, in a dark theatre… and God, she just put her hand on my thigh. No, not in a sexual way. But it felt intimate.
Like we were here on a date.
I couldn't stop myself.
There was no way I could.
Tilting her head up, I dipped down and kissed her. Softly. She didn't protest one bit; instead she kissed me back. With gentle eagerness, parting her lips for me. It was this I loved most. The way our tongues met caressingly at first. Lovingly. And always so sensually.
"Edward," she breathed, placing a hand on my cheek.
It triggered me and I deepened the kiss, only slightly, but I needed it. Her. I needed her. Always. Fuck, tomorrow would be a pain. I kissed her harder, trying not to think about saying goodbye to her tomorrow.
It was getting out of hand, and very, very, reluctantly I slowed the kiss, ending it with a few chaste ones. With my eyes closed.
Foreheads together.
I love you. Stay with us.
More soft kisses. We both lingered, and it felt very…mutual.
"Skipping the party later?" I whispered against her lips.
"Yes," she breathed, kissing me once more.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love Edward's inner dialogue. Love it! Will he get a clue soon?