Friday, June 1, 2012

Sign 19

EPOV
Mid December – 2010.
Emma's response to when Bella and I told her that we were together… well, that was to fist pump the air. Not kidding. She actually fist pumped the air.
I swear she got that from Emmett, because I don't think she got it from Rose.
Emmett's response was, "I knew you could do it, dude! Rosie totally owes me fifty bucks now, 'cause she thought Bella would make you wait the entire week."
Rose's response when Emmett called her was, "Fucking hell, Bella. You couldn't wait, could ya?"
And later that week when we had dinner with my parents, Mom's response was, "About goddamn time you grew a pair, boy. Your father was the same; he couldn't believe he'd be good enough for me. So silly both of you for not seeing how good you are." Then she chatted with Bella for the rest of the meal. Not kidding.
Dad's response was, "You've finally found your better half, eh?"
And now, another week later, it's time to tell Jasper and Alice. Well, truth be told, they already know, but tonight Bella and I are having Jasper, Katie, and Alice over for dinner.
It feels weird. Good. But weird.
But more on that later because right now I have the love of my life, lying next to me, pretending to be asleep as I trail my fingers up and down her spine.
She's naked.
Just saying.
And she's mine.
Just saying.
Also, she loves me.
Just. Saying!
Lastly, my cheeks sorta hurt, but that's fine. Smiling non-stop for two weeks does that for ya.
Bella's smiling a lot, too, nowadays. Right now for instance, she's trying not to smile, but I see it. I see the adorable tugging on the corners of her mouth. Her thoroughly kissed mouth, I must say, and I'm glad I told Emma that I will hug and kiss her a lot, because I have. With both of them, actually.
I'm a lucky man, and I have my two girls with me, so obviously I'm showing them how lucky I am. How blessed I consider myself being. But I don't think Emma's complaining, 'cause she's in love with our tickle-wars. As am I.
That's the first thing I noticed the morning after I woke up. The first morning I had Bella in my bed as my girlfriend. And that's how much younger I felt. Because I did. I do. I'm happier and more playful… hence the tickle-wars with my princess.
Then there's Bella…
There's no describing the feeling I felt when my bedroom became our bedroom.
She's literally living here. Not as roommates or any crap like that. No, she's living here with me, with us, and she doesn't have her own room anymore. We have our room, and after some convincing, I finally began seeing Bella's stuff in the apartment.
She said that she loved the apartment the way it was, and though I was thrilled to hear that, I still wanted it to show that she lived here, too, so last week when I saw a few of her family pictures in the living room, along with some new cushions she had bought, I was ecstatic… and a bit emotional, but let's skip that part.
If there's anything to get emotional over, it would definitely be of the memory of Bella hanging up pictures in the hallway, because the pictures, it was of the three of us at the aquarium.
We look like a family, which we are to me, and everyday when I come home, I find myself staring at those pictures for a beat longer before I move along.
It's what I want.
It's what we both want, I should say, because we've talked about it. Yeah, I couldn't exactly stop myself, and I'm glad I didn't, because we talked. A lot. About the future. And we want the same things.
She might not know it – though we touched the subject briefly – but I'm already planning on proposing to her. Not yet, of course, but I don't think I'll wait forever… or even long. A few more months, perhaps. But I can't help it. I love her more than words can describe, we're both on the same page, and we both see the same things in the future. Fucking sue me for wanting that future to come sooner.
Then there's the matter of children.
I bit my tongue, forcing myself to stay quiet because even though we discussed the future already, I still considered her age, not to mention that our relationship is very new. Regardless of how you see it, we haven't been together for long. So… imagine my surprise when Bella brought it up.
Obviously I didn't keep quiet since she talked about it, and that might have been another 'moment' for me, because when she – very nervously – asked if I wanted more children, I thought I was going to burst with happiness.
I know – even to this day – that I wasn't ready to become a father at twenty-three, but thanks to my family, I haven't missed out on anything. I've done everything I wanted to get done. I traveled a bit after high school, I've experienced Spring Break in Florida, and my God, that was not for me… Anyway, I haven't missed out, and though Heidi's pregnancy was unwelcomed at the time, Emma never was. I was born to be her father, and when Bella told me about her wish to have more children, I didn't waste time in showing just how much I loved her that moment. And no, it didn't go unnoticed how she said 'more children.' She could have said 'I want children of my own some day,' or something like that, but she didn't. She said she wanted more children.
It makes me wonder what Emma is to her.
And when she stated that two children was perfect for her, I had to bite my tongue again, to keep from asking whether that meant one more or two more.
I don't know if it was a Freudian slip, and I know the subject will be broached one day, but I'm in no rush. Well, no big rush.
Not a huge rush… anyway.
Another child sounds wonderful to me.
Bella's mouth twitched again then, probably because my hand had wandered south, but it's really not my fault. Her ass is out of this world, and if my hand wants to caress her perfect ass, I'm not gonna deny the fella. Or me.
Whatever.
"I know you're awake, baby," I whispered, closing in to kiss her shoulder.
"No, I'm sleepin', I swear," she mumbled sleepily.
"Are you sure?" I chuckled, threading my fingers through her hair. "Cause I was sorta hoping you'd join me in the shower."
Please!
"Kay, maybe I'm awake," she hummed, moving closer to rest her chin on my chest, and this is where I get so goddamn sappy it aint funny. But it's the smile she gives me. The carefree, the blissful… So fucking gorgeous.
"So beautiful," I whispered, almost to myself, as I cradled her face, brushing my thumb over her pink tinted cheekbone.
Freckles. She had freckles, too. Not many, but they were there. On her nose. And you had to look closely to see them, but I could do that. I could get close enough, and I loved them.
I loved it all.
"I love you," she murmured.
Indescribable.
"Love you more." I smiled.
She flashed me a wicked smirk then. "Doubt it, especially after you hear what I have to say."
"And what do you have to say?" I chuckled, knowing that there was nothing she could say that would make me love her less.
"Well," she sighed. "Alice, Jasper, and Katie are coming over around seven, yes?"
I nodded.
"Right, that means you're on grocery-duty," she continued. "I have a list for you. I would've come with you but Emma and I have plans, and we don't have much time to get ready."
I checked the time. "Don't have much time?" I asked, cocking an eyebrow. "It's nine in the morning. We have all the time in the world."
And I really don't wanna go grocery shopping alone, 'cause I tend to forget stuff.
"But we don't have all the time in the world, baby." Bella grinned. "It's Christmas soon, and we don't have a single decoration up. That's a catastrophe, which is why Emma and I are fixing that while you're out."
I wanted to bitch and whine about the grocery store, but all that sorta disappeared when the image of my girls decorating our home for Christmas popped up. And she's right, Christmas is just around the corner, and I don't think I have to mention the happiness I felt when Bella told me that the only thing she had planned for Christmas was to spend it with the two people she loved most in the world.
That may have been an emotional moment for me.
"Okay," I said, unable to wipe the smile off my face. "Give me the damn list. But you better expect me to forget some shit or get the wrong stuff," I warned.
"Don't worry, Edward," she giggled. "The list is very detailed."
Like that will help.
"Alright, let's get your sweet ass into the shower before we wake up the giggle-monster." I winked, actually a bit surprised she hadn't barged through our door yet.
But very fine by me, 'cause now I'll have a naked Bella in the shower with me for a while first.
*O*O*O*
"What the fuck?" I said, confused as hell, and so was Eleazar.
He was helping me up with the groceries, because Bella's list – that I've cursed a few times – was detailed, but it was also longer than Emma's wish list, and when I trudged in with five fucking grocery bags, Eleazar thankfully ran over to help.
But now, now we're standing outside my apartment, and through the fucking door, we can hear the Christmas music blaring through the speakers.
"Sounds like someone's getting into the Christmas spirit, huh?" Eleazar chuckled as I unlocked the door.
"Yeah." I grinned, but my reply was most likely drowned out, because shit!
I don't want a lot for Christmas
There's just one thing I need
I don't care about the presents
Underneath the Christmas tree
I don't need to hang my stocking
There upon the fireplace…
It was loud.
Eleazar helped me in with the grocery bags, and laughed a goodbye once everything was in the hallway, and I was pretty much in a daze as I removed my coat and shoes, because… well, it wasn't just the music. It was everything.
I'd been gone for three hours. That's is. But apparently that's enough for our home to be transformed into some Winter Wonderland.
The lights were dimmed; Christmas garlands were attached to the archway between the hallway and living room, Christmassy knick-knacks were spread around on shelves and the dresser, fake snow was sprayed in the corners of the mirror, and you could see where Bella had let Emma take over, effectively spraying snow all over.
It was warm and homey, and this was just the hallway.
Eager as hell to see what my girls were up to, I left the groceries in the hallway and made my way into the living room… where I stopped short.
Jaw dropped.
My girls.
Holy shit.
I think I stood there for a solid ten minutes and just watched Bella and Emma goofing around in the living room as they put up Christmas decorations. It was everything to me.
The same song was on repeat, over and over, and they were giggling, squealing… dancing. Yes, they were dancing.
Fucking hell, I don't think I've ever seen anything this perfect.
My senses took it all in. The decorations, the dimmed lighting, the reindeers on the piano that Emma obviously told Bella about, more garlands, twinkle lights, Santa clauses everywhere, mistletoes, scented candles that filled the air with a smell of cinnamon, orange, gingerbread, and pine.
Bella's obviously been shopping Christmas stuff, because I sure as shit didn't have this much before. But what I saw more than anything else was Bella and Emma. Both dressed in red pajama shorts and white tank tops… and Santa hats, of course. Both so gorgeous, and damn, they even wore matching slippers in some fluffy red material.
They were truly… Christmassy.
*One more time, Bella!* I saw Emma sign then as Bella stopped dancing, most likely because the song ended, and Christ, Emma was excited.
"Okay, Sweetie," Bella laughed, a bit out of breath. "One last time."
I backed away slightly, not ready for the show to be over, and then the same Mariah Carey song came on again, and I watched as Bella and Emma stood in front of each other, Emma mimicking Bella's moves.
I don't want a lot for Christmas
There's just one thing I need
I don't care about the presents
Underneath the Christmas tree
I just want for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true
All I want for Christmas is…
You…
Speechless.
I watched how Bella swayed her hips, how she signed the lyrics, mouthed them, smiled for Emma, danced around, and Emma lit up like a… well, a Christmas tree, copying Bella's every move, bouncing around in circles, giving us her own little version of 'jazz hands,' flashing her lopsided, dimpled grin.
I don't want a lot for Christmas
There is just one thing I need
And I don't care about the presents
Underneath the Christmas tree
I don't need to hang my stocking
There upon the fireplace
Santa Claus won't make me happy
With a toy on Christmas day
I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true
All I want for Christmas is you
You, baby…
I stifled a laugh as Bella left out 'I don't care for presents' and how she changed it for Emma – that toys would indeed make her happy, and how we do need to hang the stockings up, and…that was probably a good idea for Bella to do, because Emma would argue, or to be blunt; go apeshit.
I won't ask for much this Christmas
I don't even wish for snow
I'm just gonna keep on waiting
Underneath the mistletoe
I won't make a list and send it
To the North Pole for Saint Nick
I won't even stay awake to hear those magic reindeers click
'Cause I just want you here tonight
Holding onto me so tight
What more can I do
Baby, all I want for Christmas is you
You, baby
All the lights are shining
So brightly everywhere
And the sound of children's laughter fills the air
And everyone is singing
I hear those sleigh bells ringing
Santa, won't you bring me the one I really need
Won't you please bring my baby to me…
I swallowed thickly, never having felt this much love for anyone before besides Emma, but… Bella was amazing. Considerate and just a natural as she changed the lyrics for Emma – how she changed it from 'singing' to 'signing,' how she focused more on dancing and goofing around when there were words she didn't want to translate.
For Bella, everything in this moment was about Emma. Emma wasn't just the center of my universe, she was the center of Bella's universe, too.
Oh, I don't want a lot for Christmas
This is all I'm asking for
I just want to see my baby
Standing right outside my door
Oh, I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know…
*Ready for the last part, Sweetie?* Bella asked, smiling excitedly as she kneeled in front of Emma.
*Yes!* Emma giggled, fist pumping the air again.
I swear I'm gonna speak to Emmett about that.
But all thoughts flew out the window as I watched Bella and Emma finish the song.
Over and over, they signed and mouthed the last words as they danced together.
"Baby, all I want for Christmas…"
*Is you!*
"Baby… All I want for Christmas…"
*Is you, baby!*
"Baby… All I want for Christmas… is you!"
*Is you!*
Frozen in spot, I just stood there.
Bella and Emma tickled each other as the song ended… only to have it begin all over again, but they stayed on the floor and goofed around, until they resumed hanging up decorations, but… yeah, I couldn't function.
For a while.
One thing was clear; this is something I will always remember.
This… no, no words can describe it.
Shit, am I still a man? 'Cause, seriously, I'm not known for being emotional, but Christ, these past few weeks…they've been nothing but overwhelming. In a very, very good way.
I smiled then. Widely as hell, because my princess just noticed me standing here.
Bella noticed me, too, then, and gave me a beautiful smile as she turned down the music a notch or five.
*Daddy, you are home!* She looked so damn happy, running towards me. *We have to kiss! Bella said it!*
She looked like an energizer bunny as she stopped short, eyes wide and happy, and right before she reached me, she spun around to a beaming Bella while I crouched down to Emma's level.
*What was the sign, Bella?* Emma asked, almost bouncing in either excitement or impatience.
"You mean mistletoe, Sweetie," Bella laughed softly, holding up a small branch for her. "You hold it above your head when you kiss Daddy."
I'm serious when I say that my jaw is hurting after smiling so hard, but it's worth it. So worth it.
Emma ran back towards Bella, grabbed the branch, and held it above her head as she made her way back to me where I waited with my permanent shit eating grin, because I swear I'm the luckiest bastard to walk this earth.
"I love you, princess," I mouthed to her.
"I love you," she mouthed back, right before she reached me and planted a sloppy Emma-smooch right on my mouth.
Goddamn, I'm blessed.
A couple of Eskimo kisses followed of course, because that's how we roll, and then we looked over at Bella as flashes went off, and again I grinned widely, seeing her with a camera.
"I've taken plenty of pictures while we decorated," she said softly, walking over to us.
Of course you have, because you're a perfect mother.
"You're amazing. You know that, right?" I murmured, standing up with Emma positioned on my hip.
"So are you. Both of you," she replied, standing up on her toes to reach me. I dipped down, but… Emma stopped us with a screech that made us cringe.
*You forgot this!* she signed, giving us the evil eye as she shoved the mistletoe in our faces.
"Sorry, Sweetie," Bella laughed, and I chuckled. "Will you hold it for us?"
*Yes, I will.* Emma nodded solemnly, taking her assignment very seriously as I again dipped down to capture Bella's soft lips with mine.
"I love the way you sometimes smile into the kiss," she murmured against my lips.
That makes me smile harder.
"You've made me a very happy man, Bella," I whispered, breaking the kiss slowly with a few chaste ones.
"Your words have the ability to make me faint," she chuckled quietly, shaking her head slightly. "I love you so much."
And my ego is very stroked.
"I love you more, sweetheart."
Bella and I laughed then, because Emma, who is a very impatient little girl, demanded that we continued decorating the apartment so that Katie could see it when she arrives. And as Bella and I obeyed the little hurricane and decorated for Christmas, I had one thought.
I'm not going to be able to wait for months before putting a ring on Bella's finger.

No comments: